Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ohisashiburi

Felt like blogging and remembered this was here.

Read this week:

(REREAD)  Emissaries from the Dead by Adam-Troy Castro. I had forgotten how violent the opening to the book is, but I enjoyed revisiting the huge artificial world One One One and its sloth-like inhabitants. Although Andrea has a violent past she doesn't spend too much time either angsting over it or excusing herself due to circumstances. I'd like to know more about how the universe operates, and see a wider variety of people who are working in indentured servitude.

(NEW READ) I also read Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, but don't want to say too much to avoid spoilers. In the end I felt that any character that DID NOT come out of the book with horrible PTSD was a bad person. When I finished I was actually shaking, not sure if it was the book or the one session reading I gave it.

On the radar:

Scandal by Carolyn Jewel -  Need to finish this one. Heard about it when people started muttering that it should have won the RITA for best historical. That seemed unusual in the romance communities I frequent (where most people try to avoid acting like dicks) so I figured this book must have been really something. Enjoying it so far, just put it down for other things.

Grass by Sheri S. Tepper - SST's book often come across as way to didactic for me, but I keep returning to Grass. I love the setting so much, even the crazy giant church that runs the Earth (where the important stuff is in the basement and the peons all live in the soaring architectural towers). Grass just takes me away to another place.

No comments: